|— Golfer —|
|Full name||Gordon Alexander Caygill|
|Born||1940 (age 74–75)
|Former tour(s)||European Tour|
|Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||T16: 1966|
|Achievements and awards|
|Sir Henry Cotton
Rookie of the Year
Caygill was born in Appleby-in-Westmorland. He twice won the British Youths Championship. He had more success in 1963, winning the Coombe Hill Assistants' Tournament and the Rediffusion Tournament, but he did not win again on the circuit until 1969 having suffered with stomach ulcers. That year he won twice, first at the Penfold Tournament, and then again at the Martini International, where he tied with South African Graham Henning.
On the back of those wins Caygill was chosen as a member of the Great Britain and Ireland Ryder Cup team in 1969, although he only played one match, partnering Brian Huggett in Friday's foursomes. They halved their match against the American pair of Raymond Floyd and Miller Barber.
Professional wins (9)
- This list may be incomplete
- 1960 British Youths' Open Championship
- 1962 British Youths' Open Championship
- 1963 Coombe Hill Assistants' Tournament, Rediffusion Tournament
- 1969 Penfold Tournament, Martini International (tie with Graham Henning)
- 1970 Lusaka Dunlop Open
- 1973 Lancashire Open
- 1978 Sunningdale Foursomes (with Julia Greenhalgh)
Results in major championships
Note: Caygill only played in The Open Championship.
|The Open Championship||CUT||CUT||T17||CUT||T16||CUT||T24||T25|
|The Open Championship||T41||CUT||DNP||CUT||CUT||DNP||T63||CUT|
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Yellow background for top-10
- Ryder Cup: 1969 (tie)
- Alliss, Peter (1983). The Who's Who of Golf. Orbis Publishing. p. 222. ISBN 0-85613-520-8.
- "Caygill's record aggregate". Glasgow Herald. 6 August 1960. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Caygill youths' champion for a second time". Glasgow Herald. 11 August 1962. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Victory for Caygill in play-off". Glasgow Herald. 30 September 1963. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Record 66 puts Caygill three ahead". Glasgow Herald. 14 June 1969. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Caygill wins after dispute with rival". Glasgow Herald. 5 May 1969. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Caygill and Henning tie for Martini". Glasgow Herald. 16 June 1969. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Alex Caygill is suspended". Evening Times. 7 January 1981. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Bernie finishes 12 behind winner". Evening Times. 23 March 1970. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Lancs Open goes regional". Professional Golfers' Association (Great Britain and Ireland). 17 March 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Second chance for Sandy?". Glasgow Herald. 24 March 1978. Retrieved 2011-02-02.