|Date of depopulation||July 15–16, 1948 |
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Military assault by Yishuv forces|
Al-Burj (Arabic: البرج ) was a Palestinian Arab village in the District of Ramla. It was depopulated during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War on July 15, 1948 under the second phase of Operation Dani. It was located 14 km east of Ramla. The village was defended by the Jordanian Army but was destroyed by Israelis with the exception of one house.
In 1945 the village had a population of 480. An elementary school for boys had been founded a year before the depopulation.
- Morris, 2004, p xix village #236. Also gives cause of depopulation.
- Conder, Claude Reignier and H.H. Kitchener (1881):The Survey of Western Palestine: memoirs of the topography, orography, hydrography, and archaeology. London:Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. vol 3 (p.15 )
- Hadawi, Sami (1970), Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine, Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center
- Khalidi, Walid (1992), All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948, Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies, ISBN 0-88728-224-5
- Morris, Benny (2004), The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6
|This geography of Palestine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|