|Creative director(s)||Johnny Milord|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||24 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||20 to 23 minutes
|Production company(s)||Borderline Amazing Productions|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||March 6, 2011– April 15, 2013|
|Related shows||Chelsea Lately|
After Lately is an American television comedy. The series depicts, in mockumentary style, the behind the scenes goings-on at the office of the late-night talk show Chelsea Lately. The cast is made up of the actual writers and performers of Chelsea Lately, who play themselves as they suffer the indignities and relish the perks of show business, bicker and argue over trivial and petty matters, compete for show air time and personal approval from Chelsea, and produce a nightly late-night cable comedy show. Celebrity guest stars regularly appear, playing parody versions of themselves, interacting with Chelsea and the cast. The series began airing on E! on March 6, 2011.
After Lately is a faux reality show, purporting to expose the behind-the-scenes goings-on of Chelsea Handler's hit, late-night, E! network talk show, Chelsea Lately. It is, in fact, a scripted comedy using a "show-about-a-show" concept, similar to The Larry Sanders Show (except that the show at the center of After Lately is a real show) and is, also, a satire of the personality flaws and skewed mindsets commonly associated with show business and celebrities. The performances are both scripted and improvised. The camera shots are intentionally meant to mimic a documentary-style, fly-on-the-wall point-of-view (a la, The Office and Parks and Recreation). The various cast members, writers, crew, associates, and even celebrity guests of Chelsea Lately are presented as an extended, dysfunctional 'family': pranking each other in childish ways; failed attempts to lie their way into gaining the favor of higher-status celebrities; bickering and arguing over mostly petty matters; and, constantly competing for show air time -- and Chelsea's favor, while producing a nightly talk show. Handler, herself, appears in each episode: always portrayed as having an outwardly disdainful, domineering, and abusive -- yet, secretly compassionate -- attitude toward each staff member.
- Chelsea Handler
- Brad Wollack
- Chris Franjola
- Chuy Bravo
- Heather McDonald
- Jeff Wild
- Sarah Colonna
- Steve Marmalstein
- Roy Handler
- Jen Kirkman (Seasons 2–present)
- Fortune Feimster (Seasons 2–present)
- Josh Wolf (Seasons 1–2)
Guest stars for After Lately include: Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Justin Bieber, Jane Fonda, Dave Grohl, James van der Beek, Jay Leno, Ross Mathews, Jenny McCarthy, Sharon Osbourne, Giuliana Rancic, Tori Spelling, Antonio Sabàto, Jr., Loni Love, Natasha Leggero, Gary Valentine, Dr. Drew Pinsky, Geri Jewell, Vicki Gunvalson, Kate Beckinsale, Charlize Theron, Kathie Lee Gifford, Monica Potter, Kevin Nealon, Melissa Etheridge, Giancarlo Stanton, Kim Kardashian, Khloe Kardashian, Kourtney Kardashian, Kris Jenner.
|Seasons||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release date|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||8||March 6, 2011||April 24, 2011||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|2||8||November 27, 2011||January 29, 2012||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|3||8||February 25, 2013||April 15, 2013||N/A||N/A||N/A|
After Lately is shown in a documentary style where cameras follow the staff members behind the scenes of Chelsea Lately, and many of the staff members sometimes have one-on-one time with the camera crew for Reality TV-style confessionals. Many of the stories told are inspired by actual events at the Chelsea Lately offices.
After Lately is Executive Produced by Chelsea Handler, Tom Brunelle and Jay Karas, Johnny Milord and Brad Wollack serve as Co-Executive Producers, in association with Borderline Amazing Productions. The first and second seasons each consisted of eight episodes airing on Sunday nights at 11 pm. Season two premiered on November 27, 2011 at 11pm.
On April 27, 2012, After Lately was renewed for a third season. Season 3 debuted on February 25, 2013 in its new time slot on Mondays at 10:30pm.
The season two premiere of After Lately recorded 1.254 million viewers, up 7% from the series premiere to set a new series high.
The season three premiere recorded 0.355 million viewers and a .2 household rating.
- Gilbert, Matthew (March 5, 2011). "Handler delivers charm, smarm in ‘After Lately’". boston.com. Retrieved May 8, 2011.
- Piers Morgan (May 10, 2011). "Piers Morgan Tonight". Piers Morgan Tonight.
- "From the Hilarious Mind of Chelsea Handler Comes an Intimate Look at the Ridiculous Lives of Her Inner Circle When "After Lately" Premieres March 6 Read more: Breaking News — From the Hilarious Mind of Chelsea Handler Comes an Intimate Look at the Ridiculous Lives of Her Inner Circle When "After Lately" Premieres March 6". thefutoncritic.com. March 11, 2011. Retrieved May 8, 2011.
- Ng, Philiana (October 26, 2011). "E! Moves 'The Soup' to Wednesdays, Announces Premiere Dates for Three Series". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "E!'s "White Hot Winter" Heats Up the Coldest Months of the Year with a New Series Premiere, Returning Hit Favorites and Signature Red Carpet Events". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (March 7, 2011). "Premiere Ratings for E!'s 'After Lately' + "Kourtney & Kim Take New York' and 'Holly's World'". tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved May 8, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (May 5, 2011). "'After Lately' with Chelsea Handler Renewed for Second Season by E!". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (November 29, 2011). "Sunday Cable Ratings: 'The Walking Dead' Goes Out on Top + Kardashians, 'Housewives' 'Soul Train Awards,' 'Hell On Wheels,' 'Boardwalk Empire,' 'Homeland,' 'Dexter' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 31, 2013.
- "Monday's Cable Ratings: "Pawn Stars," "WWE Raw" Top Charts". The Futon Critic Staff. February 26, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2013.