|Parent||AfreecaTV Co., Ltd. (2011-)
|Alexa rank||3,090 (April 2014[update])|
|Type of site||Video hosting service, Video streaming service|
afreecaTV (Korean: 아프리카TV, short for 'Any FREE broadCasting')(KRX: 067160) is a P2P technology-based video streaming service. It is now owned and operated by AfreecaTV Co., Ltd. in South Korea after Nowcom's AfreecaTV Co.,Ltd and ZettaMedia split in 2011.
AfreecaTV initially started as a W beta service and was officially named "AFREECA” on March 9, 2006. The site mainly re-transmits TV channels, but also allows users to upload their own videos and shows. Functions such as broadcasting, viewing, channel listing, live chatting, and discussion boards. are provided. Users are required to install 'Afreeca Player' for grid delivery. Independent broadcasters called Broadcasting Jockeys (BJs) deliver live broadcasts to viewers, who can add them to their list of favorite channels using an Afreeca Player tool. Some channels have tens of thousands of viewers at any given time. Paid services such as quick views or channel relays allow BJs additional sources of revenue.
The platform itself ranges anywhere from TV broadcasts, live video game broadcasts, taxi driver monitoring, artist performances, and personal daily-life video blogs and shows for actresses and professional broadcasters.
The head of Afreeca's parent company Nowcom, Mun Yong-sik, was arrested in 2008 for illegally distributing copyrighted films. Some alleged the arrest was politically motivated due to Afreeca being used by protesters to coordinate.
On September 27, 2012, afreecaTV English was released on the Google Play store.
One example of expansion of Afreeca's role is the hosting of a live talk session with Mayor Park of Seoul, broadcast live online and via mobile on Afreeca TV. He used the platform as a way to conduct a community scanning forum to collect public opinions and allow bloggers with various areas of expertise to participate in the dialogue. The bloggers were able to address the problems facing Seoul and propose solutions in their areas of expertise, while also exchanging ideas with Mayor Park in an in-depth discussion on the administration of the Seoul municipal government. Depending on rising of power of Afreeca TV, many Idol Groups participate in Afreeca TV for their fans, for example, Nine Muses.
- "Afreeca.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Nowcom Will Create "ZettaMedia" for Web Storage Business". Digital Daily. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- Limb Jae-un (24 October 2006). "Online broadcasters share their passion with viewers". Joongang Daily. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- "Sung Yuri Appears on Afreeca TV". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2011-09-25. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- Jung Hyo-sik, Lee Min-a (18 June 2008). "Afreeca head accused of pirating". Joongang Daily. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- "Seoul City meetings open to public". koreaherald.com. 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- 수정, 박 (2015-12-04). "나인뮤지스, 아프리카TV에서 14일간 특별한 데이트..털털 매력 생중계".
- "[취재] 이선종 감독 "아프리카 프릭스로 새출발 하게 되어 정말 기쁘다"". 2016-01-23. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "Afreeca to sponsor 2 BW Tournaments in 2016". 2016-01-23. Retrieved 2016-01-26.