||This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007)
Adventure films are a genre of film. Unlike action films, they often use their action scenes preferably to display and explore exotic locations in an energetic way.
The subgenres of adventure films include, swashbuckler film, disaster films, and historical dramas - which is similar to the epic film genre. Main plot elements include quests for lost continents, a jungle and/or desert settings, characters going on a treasure hunts and heroic journeys for the unknown. Adventure films are mostly set in a period background and may include adapted stories of historical or fictional adventure heroes within the historical context. Kings, battles, rebellion or piracy are commonly seen in adventure films. Adventure films may also be combined with other movie genres such as, science fiction, fantasy and sometimes war films.
The adventure film reached its peak of popularity in 1930s and 1940s Hollywood, when films such as Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Mark of Zorro were regularly made with major stars, notably Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power, who were closely associated with the genre. At the same time, Saturday morning serials were often using many of the same thematic elements as high-budget adventure films. In the early days of adventure films, the protagonists were mainly male. These heroes were courageous, often fighting suppression and facing tyrants. Recently these male heroic protagonists have occasionally been replaced by heroines, Lara Croft being an example.
Popular concepts 
- An outlaw fighting for justice or battling a tyrant (e.g., Robin Hood, Zorro or Star Wars)
- Suspense and dangerous situations the characters must escape from.
- Pirates (e.g., Captain Blood or Pirates of the Caribbean)
- A journey or quest of some kind, such as searching for a lost city or for hidden treasure (e.g., King Solomon's Mines or Indiana Jones)
- The Campbellian hero-myth cycle, coming of age, discovery of one's destiny (e.g., Star Wars, Dune, Lord of the Rings).
- Allegorical themes as social commentary (e.g., Planet of the Apes or Star Trek)
Adventure films can contain stock characters and stereotypes. In some cases this has been accused of going as far as implicit racism; claimed examples of this are Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, First Blood and James Bond "kicking third-world people around" in Dr. No.
See also 
- ^ "as a genre, the adventure film, also sometimes referred to as the "action-adventure" film, is one of the most uniformly popular and stable of categories". Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- ^ "the viewer of adventure films can live vicariously through the travels, conquests, explorations, creation of empires, struggles and situations that confront the main characters, actual historical figures or protagonists.". Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- ^ http://www.filmsite.org/adventurefilms.html
- ^ http://www.filmsite.org/adventurefilms.html
- ^ Ken Dancyger (2007) and Jeff Rush Alternative scriptwriting, Fourth edition. quote:
Stereotypes abound in the adventure genre. Examples range from the mad scientist in Dr. No to the mindless thugs in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The racism implicit in the latter film and films such as First Blood are by-products of the stereotyping rampant in the adventure genre
- ^ Thomas Pynchon (1997) Slow Learner. quote: "Modern readers will be, at least, put off by an unacceptable level of racist, sexist and proto-Fascist talk throughout this story [written in the 1950s]. I wish I could say that this is only Pig Bodine's voice, but, sad to say, it was also my own at the time. The best I can say for it now is that, for its time, it is probably authentic enough. John Kennedy's role model James Bond was about to make his name by kicking third-world people around, another extension of the boy's adventure tales a lot of us grew up reading. There had prevailed for a while a set of assumptions and distinctions, unvoiced and unquestioned, best captured years later in the '70's television character Archie Bunker."
Sheffield Adventure Film Festival Trailer 2012
All kicking and screaming new trailer for the 2012 Sheffield Adventure Film Festival, March 9 -11th 2012, produced by Posing Productions, featuring the track...
Van Diemans Land (Action,Adventure,2013,AUSTRALIA) FULL MOVIE in English
Jungle Book (1942) - FULL color action adventure film [Quality Movies Archive]
Jungle Book is a 1942 color action adventure film by the Korda brothers, based on a screenplay adaptation by Laurence Stallings of the Rudyard Kipling book, ...
Interactive zombie movie adventure - DELIVER ME TO HELL - REAL ZOMBIES ATTACK
Make sure annotations are turned on *** Does NOT work on iPad, iPod or iPhone sorry. COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED! (you can stil enjoy the adventure :) Your...
Leaving the simple life in rural Sumatra, Yuda must undergo merantau, the traditional rite of passage in which a young man must leave his family's home to make it on his own. Heading to the big city of Jakarta, Yuda begins his trial of merantau. When a young boy tries to steal his wallet, Yuda is plunged into a violent world of human trafficking where his martial arts skills are tested in a rapidly escalating spiral of violence. MPAA Rating: R.
The Vikings was an action/adventure film directed by Richard Fleischer in 1958, produced by and starring Kirk Douglas, and based on the novel The Viking by E...
Sheffield Adventure Film Festival 2011 Promo
Promo for the 2011 Sheffield Adventure Film Festival March 4- 6th. Produced by Al Lee of Posing Productions. http://shaff.co.uk/
Thrillseekers Adventure Film Festival - a video round-up
Watch the Guardian/Young Vic's short film Bed Trick here http://vid.io/xlK Check out our great film review of Star Trek Into Darkness http://vid.io/xgx Thril...
ROBINSON CRUSOE ☆ HD - Full Movie ADVENTURE, COMEDY
Watch Born Into Mafia - FULL MOVIE  http://goo.gl/NkJ4C DRACULA - Full Movie - http://goo.gl/RRYhw Robinson Crusoe a film by George Anton Genre: Adven...
Life of Pi | 3D Adventure Film Review
Could a spiritual tale with no American stars be the new frontrunner for this year's Best Picture? Based on the novel by Yann Martel, Life of Pi tells an imp...
Colorado Springs Gazette
Thu, 23 May 2013 10:39:47 -0700
Animated adventure film 'Epic' lacks strong story, but makes up for it with excellent animation. ×. Close. by roger moore McClatchy Newspapers - • Published: May 23, 2013 | 11:35 am • Leave a comment. 0 · 0; email. Photo - The children's animated film ...
New Canaan Advertiser
Mon, 13 May 2013 07:34:56 -0700
Staying Put in New Canaan will host a free showing of the film “Hunt for the Samurai Subs,” written, produced and directed by former New Canaanites Devon Chivvis and Mark Fowler, at the New Canaan Historical Society on Wednesday, May 15, at 3.
Wed, 08 May 2013 22:30:10 -0700
The company recently announced the launch of the Cape Union Mart Adventure Film Challenge, a home-grown initiative that looks set to cast a spotlight on the athletes, personalities and landscapes that form part of the South African outdoor community.
Sat, 25 May 2013 10:28:54 -0700
If you're making a mid-budget fantasy epic, or a cheesy sci-fi adventure film (and this is provided you're doing this in the mid-to-late-1980s), hire Queen to write the climactic score and the rocking title tune, and your film will instantly increase ...
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 02:50:35 -0700
Entertainment. Stay informed with RSS · News · Politics · World · Life · Entertainment · Sci/Tech · Business · Streaming live · Odds · Home · News · Entertainment; Zinemaldia action sports | Zinemaldia to launch adventure film section. Entertainment ...
Ithaca College The Ithacan
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 14:53:10 -0700
Director Joseph Kosinski pays homage to 1970s science fiction films with “Oblivion,” an epic, yet personal, science-fiction adventure that reconstructs the environmentalist message of saving the Earth. Captain Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and ...
The Week UK
The Week UK
Thu, 09 May 2013 23:30:04 -0700
American noir coming-of-age drama Mud, starring Matthew McConaughey, opens in UK cinemas today. Written and directed by Jeff Nichols, the film tells the story of fugitive criminal Mud who befriends two Arkansas teenagers, Ellis and Neckbone.
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 11:36:04 -0700
Britain's young royals Prince William, the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry had a magical day out Friday with a visit to the studio where the Harry Potter movies were filmed, Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden. The royals, accompanied by 500 children ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Adventure film with people all over the world in our discussions.