Adoro te devote is a Eucharistic hymn written by Saint Thomas Aquinas.
The Latin original is as follows:
||Poetic English translation
- Adoro te devote, latens Deitas,
- Quæ sub his figuris vere latitas;
- Tibi se cor meum totum subjicit,
- Quia te contemplans totum deficit.
- Visus, tactus, gustus in te fallitur,
- Sed auditu solo tuto creditur.
- Credo quidquid dixit Dei Filius;
- Nil hoc verbo veritátis verius.
- In cruce latebat sola Deitas,
- At hic latet simul et Humanitas,
- Ambo tamen credens atque confitens,
- Peto quod petivit latro pœnitens.
- Plagas, sicut Thomas, non intueor:
- Deum tamen meum te confiteor.
- Fac me tibi semper magis credere,
- In te spem habere, te diligere.
- O memoriale mortis Domini!
- Panis vivus, vitam præstans homini!
- Præsta meæ menti de te vívere,
- Et te illi semper dulce sapere.
- Pie Pelicane, Jesu Domine,
- Me immundum munda tuo sanguine:
- Cujus una stilla salvum facere
- Totum mundum quit ab omni scelere.
- Jesu, quem velatum nunc aspicio,
- Oro, fiat illud quod tam sitio:
- Ut te revelata cernens facie,
- Visu sim beátus tuæ gloriæ. Amen
- Prostrate I adore Thee, Deity unseen,
- Who Thy glory hidest 'neath these shadows mean;
- Lo, to Thee surrendered, my whole heart is bowed,
- Tranced as it beholds Thee, shrined within the cloud.
- Taste, and touch, and vision, to discern Thee fail;
- Faith, that comes by hearing, pierces through the veil.
- I believe whate'er the Son of God hath told;
- What the Truth hath spoken, that for truth I hold.
- On the Cross lay hidden but thy Deity,
- Here is hidden also Thy Humanity:
- But in both believing and confessing, Lord,
- Ask I what the dying thief of Thee implored.
- Thy dread wounds, like Thomas, though I cannot see,
- His be my confession, Lord and God, of Thee,
- Make my faith unfeigned ever-more increase,
- Give me hope unfading, love that cannot cease.
- O memorial wondrous of the Lord's own death;
- Living Bread, that giveth all Thy creatures breath,
- Grant my spirit ever by Thy life may live,
- To my taste Thy sweetness never-failing give.
- Pelican of mercy, Jesus, Lord and God,
- Cleanse me, wretched sinner, in Thy Precious Blood:
- Blood where one drop for human-kind outpoured
- Might from all transgression have the world restored.
- Jesus, whom now veiled, I by faith descry,
- What my soul doth thirst for, do not, Lord, deny,
- That thy face unveiled, I at last may see,
- With the blissful vision blest, my God, of Thee. Amen
- I devoutly adore you, O hidden Deity,
- Truly hidden beneath these appearances.
- My whole heart submits to you,
- And in contemplating you,
- It surrenders itself completely.
- Sight, touch, taste are all deceived
- In their judgment of you,
- But hearing suffices firmly to believe.
- I believe all that the Son of God has spoken;
- There is nothing truer than this word of truth.
- On the cross only the divinity was hidden,
- But here the humanity is also hidden.
- I believe and confess both,
- And ask for what the repentant thief asked.
- I do not see the wounds as Thomas did,
- But I confess that you are my God.
- Make me believe more and more in you,
- Hope in you, and love you.
- O memorial of our Lord's death!
- Living bread that gives life to man,
- Grant my soul to live on you,
- And always to savor your sweetness.
- Lord Jesus, Good Pelican,
- wash me clean with your blood,
- One drop of which can free
- the entire world of all its sins.
- Jesus, whom now I see hidden,
- I ask you to fulfill what I so desire:
- That the sight of your face being unveiled
- I may have the happiness of seeing your glory. Amen
The sixth verse "Pie Pelicane, Jesu, Domine" is sometimes used as a separate hymn during Benediction.
adoro te devote
adoro te devote, gregorian chant Danilo Pagotto Facebook Danilo Pagotto https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000325624766 twitter @DaniloPagotto.
Tommaso D'Aquino, Inno ADORO TE DEVOTE, Schola Gregoriana Mediolanensis, Milano, It.
Tommaso D'Aquino, Inno ADORO TE DEVOTE, Schola Gregoriana Mediolanensis, Milano, It., visione spartito, www.cantogregoriano.it.
Adoro Te Devote
This is a song from the cd Illuminations, produced by Dan Gibson. I find the music and meaning of this song deeply moving. I hope that this video will bring ...
Adoro Te Devote
One of the five beautiful hymns St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) composed in honor of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament at Pope Urban IV's (1261-1264) request whe...
Adoro Te Devote - Catholic Hymns, Gregorian Chant
Another great hymn from the great St. Thomas Aquinas. This version of the hymn does not include the 3rd or 4th verses. The art is "The temptation of St. Thom...
Dan Gibson - Adoro Te Devote
Adoro Te Devote
A visual tour of Mount Angel Abbey in St. Benedict, Oregon. Set to the beautiful Thomas Aquinas hymn "Adoro Te Devote" (I Adore Thee Devoutly). Sung by the M...
Adoro Te Devote (by St. Thomas Aquinas)
Gregorian chant notation from the Liber Usualis (1961), pp. 1855-1856. Latin lyrics sung by the monks of Prinknash Abbey.
Adoro te devote
Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ, 7 June 2012 Basilica of Saint John Lateran Holy Mass, Procession to Saint Mary Major and Eucharistic Blessing Sole...
Adoro Te Devote
BONG PEÑERA: ADORE TE DEVOTE It has been said before, Manila jazz legend, Bong Peñera, has a uniquely haunting, singing voice. And this very rare and recent ...
Ecclesia Digital (blog)
Thu, 02 May 2013 07:45:38 -0700
“En la Cruz se escondía sólo la divinidad, pero aquí también se esconde la humanidad”, canta el himno litúrgico Adoro Te devote. En la Sagrada Forma, el Todopoderoso quiso no valerse por Sí mismo: Él será llevado y traído, recibido o rechazado, amado o ...
Gazeta de Alagoas
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:16:37 -0700
Por exemplo, no hino Adoro te devote, atribuído ao filósofo são Tomás de Aquino, Cristo é chamado “Pio Pelicano”. Vejamos: “Senhor Jesus, Pio pelicano, lava-me a mim, imundo, com teu sangue, do qual uma só gota já pode salvar o mundo de todos os ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Adoro te devote with people all over the world in our discussions.