|Adam W. Marcus|
|Born||1979 (age 36–37)
|Alma mater||Georgia Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Prasad Tetali|
Adam Wade Marcus (born August 1979) is an American mathematician. He is an assistant professor in the mathematics department and applied mathematics program at Princeton University. As part of a team of three, Marcus won the Pólya Prize in 2014.
Marcus grew up in Marietta, Georgia and was a boarding student at the Darlington School in Rome, Georgia. He attended the Washington University in St. Louis for his undergraduate degree and then completed his doctoral studies under the supervision of Prasad Tetali at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Following his graduation in 2008, he spent four years as a Gibbs Assistant Professor in Applied Mathematics at Yale University. In 2012, Marcus cofounded Crisply, an analytics company in Boston, Massachusetts, where he served as chief scientist until 2015. He is an alumnus of the Hampshire College Summer Studies in Mathematics.
During 2003–2004, Marcus was a Fulbright scholar in Hungary. In 2008, he was awarded the inaugural Dénes König Prize in Discrete Mathematics from the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics for his work in solving the Stanley–Wilf conjecture. A team consisting of Marcus, Daniel Spielman, and Nikhil Srivastava was awarded the 2014 Pólya Prize for their resolution of the Kadison-Singer problem. He was an invited speaker at the 2014 International Congress of Mathematicians in Seoul, South Korea.
- Marcus, A.; Tardos, G. (2004), "Excluded permutation matrices and the Stanley–Wilf conjecture", Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 107 (1): 153–160.
- Marcus, A. W.; Spielman, D. A.; Srivastava, N. (17 Jun 2013). "Interlacing Families II: Mixed characteristic polynomials and the Kadison–Singer problem". Cornell University Library. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- Adam Marcus's Homepage, Princeton University, retrieved 2015-12-23.
- Adam Marcus at Mathematics Genealogy Project
- SIAM: Dénes König Prize
- SIAM: George Pólya Prize
- About our alumni, HCSSiM, retrieved 2015-03-02.
- Fulbright Scholarships garnered by students news.wustl.edu
- 2014 George Pólya Prize shared by Adam Marcus, Daniel Spielman, and Nikhil Srivastava connect.siam.org
- ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1897
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.