Abijah (אביה 'aḆiYaH) or Abiah or Abia, modern Hebrew Aviya, is a Biblical unisex name that means "my Father is Yahweh". In the Old Testament the name Abijah was borne by several characters:
- Abijah (queen), (2 Chronicles 29:1), who married King Ahaz of Judah. She is also called Abi. (2 Kings 18:2) Her father's name was Zechariah; she was the mother of King Hezekiah (2 Chr. 29:1).
- A wife of Hetzron, one of the grandchildren of Judah (1 Chr. 2:24).
- Abijah (king) of the Kingdom of Judah, also known as Abijam (אבים 'aḄiYaM "My Father is Yam [Sea]"), who was son of Rehoboam and succeeded him on the throne of Judah (1 Chr. 3:10, Matthew 1:7, 1 Kings 14:31).
- A son of Becher, the son of Benjamin (1 Chr. 7:8).
- The second son of Samuel (1 Samuel 8:2; 1 Chr. 6:28). His conduct, along with that of his brother, as a judge in Beer-sheba, to which office his father had appointed him, led to popular discontent, and ultimately provoked the people to demand a monarchy.
- A descendant of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, a chief of one of the twenty-four orders into which the priesthood was divided by David (1 Chr. 24:10). The order of Abijah was one of those that did not return from the Captivity (Ezra 2:36–39; Nehemiah 7:39–42; 12:1).
- A son of Jeroboam, the first king of Israel. On account of his severe illness when a youth, his father sent his wife to consult the prophet Ahijah regarding his recovery. The prophet, though blind with old age, knew the wife of Jeroboam as soon as she approached, and under a divine impulse he announced to her that inasmuch as in Abijah alone of all the house of Jeroboam there was found "some good thing toward the Lord", he only would come to his grave in peace. As his mother crossed the threshold of the door on her return, the youth died, and "all Israel mourned for him" (1 Kings 14:1–18).
- The head of the eighth of the twenty-four courses into which David divided the priests, and an ancestor of Zecharias the priest, who was the father of John the Baptist (1Chronicles 24:10, Luke 1:5, Luke 1:13).
Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:52:30 -0700
The house was built in 1748 and is known as the Abijah Moore House and Tavern. Filming at the location is expected to wrap up today. In the movie, Hannah (Rebecca Hall) is beginning to move on with her life after the death of her husband, an acclaimed ...
News- Graphic (subscription)
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 02:00:00 -0700
Abijah Malik Cox of the 100 block of East Main Street and Tristen Tyler Mosley of the 100 block of Harbor Village Drive each are charged with second-degree burglary and theft by unlawful taking, Scott County Detention Center records show.
Sat, 12 Apr 2014 23:00:00 -0700
Seattle Christian left the bases loaded in the second, third and fourth on Young strikeouts and went up, 4-3, in the fifth as Fevaleiki singled, went to third on a Young double and scored on an Abijah Smith single after Jones was hit by a pitch. Jones ...
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:56:45 -0700
UNWELCOME DEVELOPMENT: Starks residents Elizabeth Smedberg and Harry Brown speak in July 2013 in a field off Abijah Hill Road, directly below the proposed site of a celltower. Brown and his wife, Cindy, who live near the site, have appealed in ...
Columbia County News Times
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 21:22:52 -0700
... Chase Maddox, Chandler Maddox, Jared Martin, Morgan McGahee, Brandon McKettrick, Pablo Mendez-Vazquez, Rachel Morris, Christian Napoleon, Jacob Norris, Emily Overton, Peyton Perdue, Logan Phillips, Abijah Ray, Abby Roberson, Aziz Sampson, ...
Press of Atlantic City
Tue, 01 Apr 2014 21:03:47 -0700
The Gene Hart Award was presented March 27 to ice hockey coach Harry Tracy, right, of Atlantic City, by Art Dorrington, center, of Atlantic City. The Dorothie W. Dorrington Memorial education and Community Service Award was presented to football coach ...
Wed, 02 Apr 2014 22:03:36 -0700
Elite beat East End 6-3 through goals by Brian Scott (2), Marvin Boothe, Jairo Sanchez (2) and Abijah Rivers. Forde Pierson (2) and a Lloyd Rhoden own goal were East End's reply. In a pulsating game at the TE McField Annex, Roma beat Cayman Athletic ...
Asheboro Courier Tribune
Asheboro Courier Tribune
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 21:07:30 -0700
RALEIGH — Susan Lowdermilk Burroughs (sometimes known as Granny Susan), 100, died Saturday, March 22, 2014, at Springmoor Life Care Retirement Community in Raleigh. She was born June 21, 1913, to Abijah and Coney Lowdermilk in Seagrove, ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Abijah with people all over the world in our discussions.