||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016)
||This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (January 2016)
Main article: Somali clan
Abgaal (var. Abgal; Somali: Abgaal, Arabic: أبغال) is a Somali clan, and part of the major Hawiye clan. Its members live in the Shabeellaha Dhexe, Galguduud, Banaadir, Mudug, Lower Shebelle, Middle Juba, and Jubbada Hoose regions of Central and southern Somalia. Abgaals consider Xamar (Mogadishu) as their traditional territory.
Abgaal is one subclan of the Mudulood family, which also includes Wacdaan, Moobleen, and Ujajeen.
There is no clear agreement on the clan and sub-clan structures and many lineages are omitted. The following listing is taken from the World Bank's Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics from 2005 and the United Kingdom's Home Office publication, Somalia Assessment 2001.
- Abgal [sic]
- Rer Mattan
- Mohamed Muse
- Sheekhaal (Sheikal)
- Habar Gidir (Haber Gedir)
In the south central part of Somalia the World Bank shows the following clan tree:
- Abgal [sic]
- Habargidir (Habar Gidir)
- Sheikhal (Sheekhaal)
In Puntland the World Bank shows the following:
- Habar Gidir
- Imam Mohamud Imam Cumar ,Is the Imam Of Mudulood and also carries the dual position of The Traditional Imam of Hiraab.
Prominent members of the Abgaal
- Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, President of Somalia
- Nur Hassan Husein, former Prime Minister of the Transitional Federal Government
- Sharif Ahmed, former President of Somalia, former Commander-in-chief of the Islamic Courts Union
- Ali Mohammed Ghedi, Former Prime Minister of the Transitional Federal Government.
- Ali Mahdi Muhammad, president of Somalia from January – November 1991
- Hussein Kulmiye Afrah, vice-president of Somalia under the Siad Barre regime.
- Ahmed Maxamed Xasan, Lieutenant Colonel in the Somali Airforce who defused the mig-17 jet fighter bombs.
- Ali Geedi Shadoor, former Minister under the Siad Barre regime
- Dr. Hussein Ali Ahmed, former mayor of Mogadishu
- Salaad Gabeyre Kediye, Major General in the Somali Military, and Chairman of the Somali Revolution
- Ismail Jim'ale Osoble, Somali lawyer and Minister of Information in the government of Aden Abdulle Osman
- Mohamed Omar Habeb Dhere, warlord, governor and mayor of Banadir and Mogadishu
- Omar Muhamoud Finnish, leader of a splinter movement of the United Somali Congress/Somali Salvation Alliance
- General Daud Abdulle Hirsi, first commander-in-chief of the Somali National Army Forces
- Salad Ali Jelle, Deputy Minister of Defense of the Transitional Federal Government
- Musa Sudi Yalahow, warlord who served as Trade Minister in the Transitional Federal Government.
- Ali Jimale, educator at the City University of New York
- Mohamud Siad Togane, Somali-Canadian poet, professor, and political activist
- Adde Gabow (Mohamed Ali Hassan), politician,governor and mayor of Banadir and Mogadishu
- Abukar Umar Adani, Islamist, businessman who used to control the El-ma`an beach area which served as Mogadishu's port since the closure in 1995 of the city's main port.
- Bashir Raghe Shiiraar, secular warlord who was a Member of the dysfunctional US-backed Alliance for Peace and the Fight Against International Terrorism.
- Sheikh Ali Dhere, cleric and the head of the first Islamic Courts Union in northern Mogadishu in 1996.
- Farah Weheliye Addow (Sindiko), former Vice President of the Confederation of African Football.
- Abdulahi Ahmed Afrah, Minister of Commerce
- Abdi Mohamed Ulusso, Phd holder,intellectual and 2003 somali Presidential candidate.
- Hussein Hagi Bood, politician and Ex minister of National planning 1977–81
- Hilowle Imam Omar, politician, former co-chairman of the (Somali Reconciliation and Reconstruction Council) (SRRC) Party.
- Mohamed Ali Ameriko, Somali ambassador to Kenya.
- Ayub Daud, professional Footballer current playing Juventus
- Mohamed Omar Habeb Dhere, politician
- Hussein Sheikh Ahmed Kaddare, orthographer and the inventor of the Kadariya Script.
- Abdirahman Yabarow, Editor-in-Chief of the VOA Somali Service
- Hassan Mohamed Hussein Mungab, Mayor of Mogadishu
- ^ "Inter-clan Fighting in Middle Jubba". Mareeg Online. 11 March 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- ^ "SUPPORT FROM WAAX IYO WAADI TO WAGOSHA MOVEMENT.". Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- ^ Jimale Ahmed, Ali (1 January 2002). "Nuruddin Farah and the (Re)Writing of Somali Historiography: Narrative as a Politically Symbolic Act". In Wright, Derek. Emerging Perspectives on Nuruddin Farah. Trenton, New Jersey: Africa World Press. p. 234. ISBN 978-0-86543-919-1. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- ^ Ahmed, Ali Jimale (1995). The Invention of Somalia. Lawrenceville, New Jersey: The Red Sea Press. p. 134. ISBN 978-0-932415-99-8. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- ^ Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.55 Figure A-1
- ^ http://www.asylumlaw.org/docs/somalia/ind01b_somalia_ca.pdf Country Information and Policy Unit, Home Office, Great Britain, Somalia Assessment 2001, Annex B: Somali Clan Structure], p. 43
- ^ Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.56 Figure A-2
- ^ Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.57 Figure A-3
- ^ http://www.etext.org/Politics/Somalia.News.Update/Volume.3/snu-03.003
- ^ Interview with Ahmed Mohamed Hassan, the former Somali Air Force pilot...... at the Wayback Machine (archived July 1, 2008)
- ^ Said S. Samatar (2001). "Somalia: Africa's Problem Child?". Mudug Online. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- ^ "Socdaalkii Duqa Magaalda Muqdisho Dr Xuseen Cali Axmed ee uu Scandenevianka ku maarayey 15 –20 febaraayo oo naqoday mid lagu guuleeeystay.". Mudulood.com (in Somali). Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- ^ a b John Pike (2006-03-22). "SOMALIA: Twelve killed in heavy fighting in Mogadishu". Globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- ^ A. Duale Sii'arag (15 Nov 2005). "The Birth and Rise of Al-Ittihad Al-Islami in the Somali Inhabited Regions in the Horn of Africa". Newbanadir.com. Archived from the original on June 20, 2007. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- ^ "Somalia: Farah Addo elected chairman of football federation". Mareeg.com. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- ^ 
- ^ "CFS". Canadian Friends of Somalia. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- ^ John Pike (2006-08-21). "SOMALIA: Premier appoints new cabinet". Globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- ^ a b 
- ^ "Rival Somali gunmen call it quits | News | Mail & Guardian". Mg.co.za. 2002-01-01. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- ^ "Warlords agree on Mogadishu authority". BBC News. 22 December 1999. Retrieved 23 April 2010.
- ^ "Declaration on Cessation of Hostilities and the Structures and Principles of the Somalia National Reconciliation Process (S/2002/1359) | ReliefWeb". Reliefweb.int. 2002-12-13. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- ^ 
- ^ "PROFILE: Dr. Mohamed Ali "Ameriko"". Banadir.com. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- ^ Laitin, David D. (1 May 1977). Politics, Language, and Thought: The Somali Experience. University of Chicago Press. p. 87. ISBN 978-0-226-46791-7. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- ^ Biber, Douglas; Finegan, Edward (7 December 1993). Sociolinguistic Perspectives on Register. Oxford University Press, USA. p. 213. ISBN 978-0-19-535932-9. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
Sat, 09 Apr 2016 00:23:22 -0700
Somalia President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud told last night Thursday politicians and elders from Abgaal sub-clan of the Hawiye that he will forcefully appoint Abdulkadir Osoble Ali as President of the intended Hiiraan and Middle Shabelle. Osoble hails from ...
Sun, 17 Apr 2016 02:44:11 -0700
Waagacusub.net -Marwadda 2-aad Madaxweyne Garguurte , Marwo Sahra Indhayar ayaa xalay khaarijisay haweeneeydii ugu ololaha badneed Xisbigga Daljir Cibaado Cabdi Maxamed Kaahiye Adan oo loo yaqiinay Cibaado Cagalo. Cibaado Cagalo oo u ...
Sat, 24 Jan 2015 14:52:30 -0800
abgaal By Goth Mohamed Goth. The Minister Post and Telecommunication Hon Mohamed Jama Abgal has pointed a finger to the rogue Sultan Abubakar Elim Wabar as being the mastermind of the Thursday night armed attack on a police station in Borame ...
Midnimo Information Center
Midnimo Information Center
Sat, 12 Dec 2015 03:32:07 -0800
According to the Somali Compact Progress Report of 2014, the socio-economic indicators of Somalia remain very low. Only one in three Somalis have access to safe water; one in ten children die before their first birthday; and one in 18 women die during ...
Fri, 05 Feb 2016 17:21:18 -0800
Kenyamedia.net - Dozens of men, including Dahabshiil's deputy manager of South Africa, are charged with recruiting for Al-Shabaab in Kenya. Abdirizak Mowlana was arrested in Nairobi where he was allegedly recruiting young Kenyan men to Al-Shabaab, ...
Wed, 24 Feb 2016 16:00:00 -0800
Mogadishu: Somali authorities shut this week more than 30 websites critical to the Federal government, including Waagacusub Media. A letter issued by the officials of the Ministry of post and Telecommunications with a list of regulations from different ...
Thu, 26 Nov 2015 12:37:30 -0800
Somalilanders.com - His name is Hassan Shire and he hails from Abgaal sub-clan of Hawiye. "Mr. Shire, who from Southern Somalia claims to be a human rights campaigner is a member of the World Gay Association" said a source from his former colleagues ...
Mon, 22 Feb 2016 06:53:35 -0800
The Federal Government of Somalia regrets the events that transpired at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) where Somali delegations transited on their way to Istanbul, Turkey for the High-Level Partnership Forum. Unfortunately, some of the ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.