|Tuan Yang Terutama Tun Datuk Patinggi
Abang Haji Muhammad Salahuddin Abang Barieng
Abang Muhammad Salahuddin in 2011.
|6th Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak|
22 February 2001 – 28 February 2014
|Preceded by||Ahmad Zaidi Adruce|
|Succeeded by||Abdul Taib Mahmud|
|3rd Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak|
2 April 1977 – 2 April 1981
|Preceded by||Tuanku Bujang Tuanku Othman|
|Succeeded by||Abdul Rahman Ya'kub|
27 August 1921 |
Kampung Nangka, Sibu, Kingdom of Sarawak
|Spouse(s)||Toh Puan Hajjah Dayang Umi Kalthum (deceased)
Toh Puan Hajah Norkiah
|Residence||The Astana, Kuching|
Tun Datuk Patinggi Abang Haji Muhammad Salahuddin bin Abang Barieng was the Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of the Malaysian state of Sarawak from 1977 to 1981 and again from 2001 to 2014. He is the first person to serve as Governor twice. He is also fondly known as Abang Louis, by his old friends and acquaintances, especially in his hometown of Sibu. His term officially ended on 28 February 2014, and he was succeeded by the former Chief Minister, Abdul Taib Mahmud, on 1 March.
Born in 1921, Salahuddin, or Abang Louis, is the only son of Abang Barieng bin Abang Anyut, a well-known figure in the Third Division (present-day Sibu Division).
After the Japanese occupation, he worked as Municipal Inspector until 1947 under the new British colonial administration. He continued in the public service under the National Registration Department and the Public Works Department.
He was active in state politics, helping to form Barisan Pemuda Sarawak (BPS) and Barisan Rakyat Jati Sarawak (BARJASA). Salahuddin acted as representative of the Melanau community to the Cobbold Commission during the years preceding the formation of Malaysia.
In 1963, he contested and won a seat in the state elections. However, he resigned in 1968 and returned to public service. He eventually became Chairman of the State Public Service Commission.
In 1977, he was installed as the third Governor of Sarawak and served for a term of four years. In 2000, he became Acting Governor while the Governor Ahmad Zaidi Adruce was ill. Zaidi Adruce died in December 2000, and Salahuddin was reappointed permanently to the governorship in February 2001, and his term officially ended on 28 February 2014.
Awards and recognitions
He has been awarded :
He holds the usual Malay title of "Tun Datuk Patinggi" by combining the highest title of Malaysia and the highest title of Sarawak. But in other parts of Malaysia, he holds other titles. See details below.
Honours of Sarawak
- As 3rd & 6th List of Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Sarawak (2 April 1977 – 2 April 1981 & 22 February 2001 – 28 February 2014)
Honours of Malaysia
Salahuddin was bestowed the nation's highest award – the Seri Maharaja Mangku Negara which carries the title Tun, by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong on 7 June 1978.
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (SMN) with title Tun
- SPMP which is :
- Malacca :
- Grand Commander of the Premier and Exalted Order of Malacca (DUNM) with title Datuk Seri Utama
- Penang :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Defender of State (DUPN) with title Dato' Seri Utama
- Sabah :
- Grand Commander of the Order of Kinabalu (SPDK) with title Datuk Seri Panglima
- "Services of heads of state of Sarawak, Sabah extended". New Straits Times. 5 December 2006. p. 11.
- Sarawak governor’s tenure extended by one more year The Star. 29 November 2008
- Ram Anand (28 February 2014). "Previous Governors Of Sarawak". The Borneo Post.
- List of malaysian rulers as of January 2013, with mention of orders
- Who's who 82/83 (First Edition), Sarawak Publishing House Sdn.Bhd., Kuching, Malaysia.
Tuanku Bujang Tuanku Othman
|Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak
Abdul Rahman Ya'kub
Ahmad Zaidi Adruce
|Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sarawak
Abdul Taib Mahmud
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.