The 22nd century is a century of the Common Era in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. It is the century following the current 21st century, beginning on January 1, 2101 and ending on December 31, 2200. It is distinct from the century known as the 2100s, which will begin on January 1, 2100 and will end on December 31, 2199.
- Work on cleaning up the site of the Oldbury Nuclear Power Station near Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, England, which was decommissioned on 29 February 2012, is scheduled to be complete between 2092 and 2101.
- According to the Discovery Channel documentary, Extreme Engineering, the Japanese proposed Shimizu Mega-City Pyramid could be complete by 2110.
- The One Hundred Year Study on Artificial Intelligence (AI100) initiated by Stanford University will be concluded in 2115.
- 2162 or later: The satellite Envisat, declared "dead" in 2012, is expected to deorbit and burn up in the atmosphere no earlier than 2162.
- By 2200, it is predicted that Earth will become a Type I civilization on the Kardashev scale, according to Nikolai Kardashev's extrapolation of 1% energy usage growth per year.
- 2160 – Some scientists believe there are people born in 2010 who may still be alive in 2160.
- According to the UN Population Bureau, life expectancy in 2200 will be around 100 for developed countries and the world population will be about 10.9 billion. However, the UN has warned that these projections could be invalidated by any change and progress in future life extension technology and discoveries, as well as changes in future birthrates.
- By 2100, 12% (about 1250) of the bird species existing at the beginning of the 21st century are expected to be extinct or threatened with extinction.
- By 2100, emperor penguins could be pushed to the brink of extinction due to global climate change, according to a Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution study from January 2009. The study applied mathematical models to predict how the loss of sea ice from climate warming would affect an Antarctica colony of emperor penguins, they forecast a decline of 50% by the end of the century.
- On March 14, 2100 (which will be February 29, 2100 in the Julian calendar), the difference between the Julian calendar and the Gregorian calendar reaches 14 days. Since 14 is divisible by 7, this will be the first time in history since its inception that the Gregorian calendar will have the same day of the week for each day of the month for the whole year as the Julian calendar. This will last until February 28, 2200 of the Gregorian Calendar.
- 2100 will not be a leap year since it qualifies as a year that is divisible by 100, but not by 400.
- FAT file systems theoretically support dates up to December 31, 2107 (though officially only up to December 31, 2099).
- The Year type in MySQL supports dates up to December 31, 2155.
- March 17, 2160 – Unless changes are made as to when Easter can be observed, this particular March 17 will fall within Holy Week for the first time since 2008 and fall on the same day (Monday) as it did in that year, likely requiring the movement of the Feast of Saint Patrick's Day to another date.
- April 27, 2109 – A time capsule placed under the floor boards of the Old Queens Building at Rutgers University, in New Jersey, United States buried on April 27, 2009 is scheduled to be opened.
- September 19, 2110 – A time capsule at the Plaza de Armas in Santiago, Chile is intended to be opened on that date. It was buried in 2010.
- November 18, 2112 – The City of Beaumont, California in the United States will open their time capsule in honor of its Bi-Centennial.
- 2112 - A time capsule buried in Weavers Academy, Wellingborough, UK, will be opened after 100 years of being buried.
- August 4, 2113 - The alternate reality game associated with the video game Trials Evolution is scheluded to be concluded.
- 2132 – A time capsule on Rideau Street in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada is intended to be opened that year. It was buried in 1982.
- 2193: A time capsule at the York Civic Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada is intended to be opened that year. It was buried in 1997.
- December 8, 2113 : Annular solar eclipse, (9 min 35 s), Solar Saros 134.
- June 3, 2114 : Total solar eclipse of 6 min 32 s, Solar Saros 139.
- December 19, 2131 : Annular solar eclipse, (10 min 14 s), saros 134.
- June 13, 2132 : Total solar eclipse of 6 min 55 s, saros 139.
- December 30, 2149 : Annular solar eclipse, (10 min 42 s), saros 134.
- June 25, 2150: Solar eclipse of 7 min 14 s, Solar Saros 139.
Exceeding 7 minutes of totality, this will be the first time this has happened in 177 years; the last one occurred on June 30, 1973. when the Concorde prototype followed the totality spot during 73 minutes.
- January 10, 2168 : Annular solar eclipse, (10 min 55 s), saros 134.
- July 5, 2168 : Total solar eclipse of 7 min 26 s, saros 139.
- January 20, 2186 : Annular solar eclipse, (10 min 53 s), saros 134.
- Total solar eclipse of July 16, 2186 of 7 min 29 s (very close to the theoretical maximum), Saros 139, "crowning" this series.
This is predicted to be the longest eclipse during the current 10,000 year period, from 4000 BC to 6000 AD (eclipse predictions by Fred Espenak, NASA/GSFC.DEPP).
- June 9, 2123: Long-duration lunar eclipse of approximately 106.1 minutes.
- June 19, 2141: Long-duration lunar eclipse of about 106.1 minutes. This lunar eclipse is in the same Saros series (132) as the long lunar eclipse in 2123, and has an almost identical duration.
Transits and occultations
- December 11, 2117: Transit of Venus.
- September 14, 2123: At 15:28 UTC, Venus will occult Jupiter.
- December 8, 2125: Transit of Venus.
- July 29, 2126: At 16:08 UTC, Mercury will occult Mars.
- December 3, 2133: At 14:14 UTC, Mercury will occult Venus.
- September 2, 2197: Venus occults Spica.
Last occultation of Spica by Venus was on November 10, 1783.
- December 24, 2197: Earth's Moon will occult Neptune.
- 2100: Polaris appears furthest north. Polaris' maximum apparent declination (taking account of nutation and aberration) will be 0.4526° from the celestial north pole, on 24 March 2100.
- August, 2113: First time Pluto reaches aphelion since its discovery.
- 2114: Sedna will overtake Eris as the farthest currently known spheroid orbiting the Sun.
- March 10, 2130: At 07:32 UTC, Sun passes through solar system barycenter.
- 2134: Comet Halley will return to the inner solar system.
- 2135–2136: Halley´s comet will be at perihelion.
- August 5, 2150: Main-belt asteroid 78 Diana (~125 km in diameter) will pass about 0.003 AU (450,000 km; 280,000 mi) from Earth threatening asteroid (29075) 1950 DA and perturb 1950 DA's long-term trajectory.
- May 19, 2161: All eight planets are predicted to be on the same side of the sun, within 69 degrees.
- 2174: The second full orbit of Neptune around the Sun since its discovery in 1846.
- 2177: "First Plutonian anniversary" of the dwarf planet's discovery, given that Pluto's orbit is just under 248 Earth years.
- 2182: With an estimated probability of 0.07%, Apollo asteroid 1999 RQ36 could hit the Earth.
- ^ Enoch, Nick (February 29, 2012). "World's oldest nuclear power station closes... but it will take 90 more years and £954m to clear it completely". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- ^ New Mega-City Challenge – Concept. Geekwidget (2010-03-29). Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ city in pyramid on YouTube
- ^ "Stanford to host 100-year study on artificial intelligence". Stanford University. 16 December 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- ^ "Study to Examine Effects of Artificial Intelligence". The New York Times. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- ^ "One-Hundred Year Study of Artificial Intelligence: Reflections and Framing". Eric Horvitz. 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- ^ Wall, Mike (2012-05-11). "Dead Satellite Envisat May Be Space Junk for 150 Years". Huffington Post (Huffington Post). Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- ^ Kaku, Michio (April 26, 2004). "How Advanced Could They Be?". Astrobiology Magazine. Retrieved January 7, 2010.
- ^ Laurance, Jeremy (2010-05-12). "Has the elixir of youth come of age?". The Independent (London: The Independent). Archived from the original on 15 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- ^ World population in 2300. (PDF) . Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ Pimm, Stuart; et al. (2006). "Human impacts on the rates of recent, present, and future bird extinctions". PNAS 103 (29): 10941–10946. Bibcode:2006PNAS..10310941P. doi:10.1073/pnas.0604181103. PMC 1544153. PMID 16829570.
- ^ Dunham, Will. "Melting Sea Ice May Doom Emperor Penguins, Study Finds". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 26, 2008.
- ^ Nevans-Pederson, Mary (2008-03-13). "No St. Pat's Day Mass allowed in Holy Week". Dubuque Telegraph Herald. Woodward Communications, Inc. Archived from the original on 5 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- ^ Diduch, Mary (April 27, 2009). "U. celebrates Old Queens bicentennial". The Daily Targum (Rutgers University: College Media Network). Retrieved June 16, 2009.
At the ceremony, a time capsule was revealed containing several items from today to leave for the University in 2109, at the building’s tricentennial commemoration.
- ^ York Civic Centre. Freebase (2006-10-23). Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ Eclipse of December 8, 2113. NASA
- ^ Eclipse of June 3, 2114. NASA
- ^ Eclipse of December 19, 2131. NASA
- ^ Eclipse of June 13, 2132. NASA
- ^ Eclipse of December 30, 2149. NASA
- ^ Eclipse of June 25, 2150. NASA
- ^ Solar eclipse of June 30, 1973
- ^ Eclipse of January 10, 2168. NASA
- ^ Eclipse of July 5, 2168. NASA
- ^ Eclipse of January 20, 2186. NASA
- ^ Eclipse of July 16, 2186. NASA
- ^ Ten Millennium Catalog of Long Solar Eclipses. NASA
- ^ a b NASA Eclipse web site. Eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov. Retrieved on 2014-01-19. Cite error: Invalid
<ref> tag; name "eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- ^ Triple Conjunction. Wn.com. Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ a b Triple Conjunction at the Wayback Machine (archived March 20, 2012). Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
- ^ HM Nautical Almanac Office: 2117 Transit of Venus. Astro.ukho.gov.uk (2011-05-03). Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ Articles – Occultation – OPT Telescopes. Optcorp.com. Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ HM Nautical Almanac Office: 2125 Transit of Venus. Astro.ukho.gov.uk (2011-05-03). Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ Occultation - Mutual planetary transits and occultations - Encyclopedia II at the Wayback Machine (archived December 13, 2013)
- ^ Jean Meeus, Mathematical Astronomy Morsels Ch.50 ; Willmann-Bell 1997.
- ^ A New Peek at Pluto. Astrobio.net (2002-12-18). Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ Sedna at Perihelion: (JPL Horizons Soln.date: 2010-Feb-01 82 obs). surewest.net
- ^ The Barycentre of the solar system. Bautforum.com. Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- ^ a b ASP: A Special Issue on Halley's Comet. Astrosociety.org. Retrieved on 2014-01-19. Archived November 6, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Giorgini, J. D.; Ostro, S. J; Benner, L. A. M.; Chodas, P.W.; et al. (2002). "Asteroid 1950 DA's Encounter With Earth in 2880: Physical Limits of Collision Probability Prediction" (PDF). Science 296 (5565): 132–136. Bibcode:2002Sci...296..132G. doi:10.1126/science.1068191. PMID 11935024.
- ^ "Ideas & Trends in Summary; It's All Right To Come Out Now". New York Times. March 14, 1982. Retrieved October 1, 2014.
Centuries and millennia
Insider Trading Report
Sun, 29 Nov 2015 23:18:45 -0800
Shares of 22nd Century Group, Inc (NYSEMKT:XXII) rose by 2.8% in the past week and 4.26% for the last 4 weeks. In the past week, the shares have outperformed the S&P 500 by 2.75% and the outperformance increases to 3.72% for the last 4 weeks.
Sun, 29 Nov 2015 19:43:57 -0800
22ND Century Group Inc (NYSEMKT:XXII) hedge funds sentiment decreased to 0.78 in Q2 2015. Its down -0.16, from 0.94 in 2015Q1. The sentiment dropped, as 21 investment professionals opened new or increased stock positions, while 27 sold and ...
Business Wire (press release)
Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:11:15 -0800
CLARENCE, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--22nd Century Group, Inc. (NYSE MKT: XXII), a plant biotechnology company that is a leader in tobacco harm reduction, announced today that it will open specialized laboratories in Western New York dedicated to new ...
Buffalo Business First
Buffalo Business First
Mon, 09 Nov 2015 10:56:15 -0800
A Clarence-based tobbaco products firm has settled litigation that makes its former CEO and founder a paid consultant for at least the next year. 22nd Century Group Inc. (NYSE MKT: XXII) disclosed the details of the settlement with Joseph Pandolfino in ...
Palo Alto Online
Palo Alto Online
Fri, 13 Nov 2015 08:44:46 -0800
Standing in a crowded school board room in June of 2014, natty in suit and tie, making his first appearance here, incoming superintendent Max McGee sprinted to the finish of his debut speech by declaring that our district ought to be the exemplar, not ...
Sat, 14 Nov 2015 22:56:03 -0800
Dawn of the 22nd Century: Estimating Africa's Population Size. Projecting population size over the long term is tricky business. By The Globalist, November 15, 2015. Credit: Veronika M Shutterstock.com ...
Business Wire (press release)
Thu, 05 Nov 2015 09:37:30 -0800
CLARENCE, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--22nd Century Group, Inc. (NYSE MKT:XXII), a leader in tobacco harm reduction, announced today that the Company will provide a business update for investors on a conference call to be held Tuesday, November 10th ...
Mon, 09 Nov 2015 09:48:45 -0800
Michael Batty is Bartlett Professor of Planning at University College London, where he is Chair of the Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA). He .... Read more. WE BRING YOU PERSPECTIVES FROM AROUND THE WORLD. HELP US TO INFORM ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.