|2001 Tampa Bay Devil Rays|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Chuck LaMar|
|Manager(s)||Larry Rothschild, Hal McRae|
|Local television||FSN Florida
(Joe Magrane, Dewayne Staats)
(Paul Olden, Charlie Slowes)
(Ricardo Tavares, Enrique Oliu)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 2001 Tampa Bay Devil Rays season was their 4th since the franchise was created. This season, they finished last in the AL East division, and managed to finish the season with a record of 62-100. Their manager were Larry Rothschild and Hal McRae, the latter whom replaced Rothschild shortly after the season began.
- November 2, 2000: Bill Pulsipher was Signed as a Free Agent with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- November 27, 2000: Quinton McCracken was released by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- November 27, 2000: Jim Morris was released by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- January 8, 2001: Johnny Damon was traded as part of a 3-team trade by the Kansas City Royals with Mark Ellis to the Oakland Athletics. The Oakland Athletics sent Ben Grieve to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The Oakland Athletics sent Ángel Berroa and A. J. Hinch to the Kansas City Royals. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays sent Cory Lidle to the Oakland Athletics. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays sent Roberto Hernandez to the Kansas City Royals.
- March 23, 2001: Bill Pulsipher was Released by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
Opening Day starters
- Vinny Castilla
- Steve Cox
- John Flaherty
- Ben Grieve
- Albie Lopez
- Felix Martinez
- Fred McGriff
- Bob Smith
- Greg Vaughn
- Gerald Williams
|Wade Boggs's number 12 was retired by the Tampa Bay Rays in 2001.|
|New York Yankees||95||65||0.594||—||51–28||44–37|
|Boston Red Sox||82||79||0.509||13½||41–40||41–39|
|Toronto Blue Jays||80||82||0.494||16||40–42||40–40|
|Tampa Bay Devil Rays||62||100||0.383||34||37–44||25–56|
Record vs. opponents
2001 American League Records
- April 4, 2001: Kenny Kely was purchased by the Seattle Mariners from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
- June 5, 2001: Dewon Brazelton was drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 1st round (3rd pick) of the 2001 amateur draft. Player signed August 25, 2001.
- June 5, 2001: Jon Switzer was drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 2nd round of the 2001 amateur draft. Player signed August 13, 2001.
- June 15- @ Marlins 7- Devil Rays 4 
- June 16- @ Marlins 11- Devil Rays 0 
- June 17- @ Marlins 6- Devil Rays 4 
- July 6- @ Devil Rays 5- Marlins 4 (11 innings) 
- July 7- @ Devil Rays 4- Marlins 3 
- July 8- Marlins 6- @ Devil Rays 1 
|2001 Tampa Bay Devil Rays|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
- Bill Pulsipher Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Quinton McCracken Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnny Damon Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- 2001 Tampa Bay Devil Rays Roster by Baseball Almanac
- Kenny Kelly Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Dewon Brazelton Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Jon Switzer Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 2007
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.